Sunday, February 03, 2008

I think I can, I think I can ...... just look straight ahead


New York is surprisingly mountainous. I missed that part of US Geography - must have been when I had the measles and the mumps in the third grade.
When I think of George Washington crossing the Delaware River, I think of a small boat pushing off from the shore and landing on the shore on the other side. Of course, it was cold in the river and George had to stand up in the boat.
I never expected that the Hudson River would have freaking steep mountains and bridges that are 25 stories tall. (That's right - 250 feet clearance above the water). I wasn't worried about the bridge to get over to Kingston because I didn't know this amazing little fact - The Tappan Zee bridge in to White Plains is only about 10 feet above the water.
Then I got on the road approaching the bridge and realized that the bridge went from the top of one mountain to the top of the other. Not really, but sort of. (Oh shit, oh shit......can't turn around now.)
The only way I survived this 7,793 foot trip was by not looking either up or down river but by looking straight ahead as I drove over the bridge. This was scary. I wasn't standing up like George, but I made it across.
Thanks Julie Sitney for the photo you placed on the web.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home