Thursday, January 31, 2008

Escape from Storm King Mountain

Storm King Mountain is across the Hudson River. You can see "Old Hwy 218" hanging along the edge of the mountain. I barely made it out alive.
On my second trip back from the SWF airport after picking up my luggage (see previous post) I followed the Google directions precisely and tried to enter the Washington gate for West Point. No dice - DOD decal only (Dept of Defense). So they turned me around except I turned one turn too soon and ended up driving north along old HWY 218. This road takes you on a scenic view of the Hudson River along the side of Storm King Mountain. And I do mean the "side". The east side of the road (yep - the side I was driving on) dropped straight down to the water - like a cliff - a real drop off. This is no place to take a person who suffers from motion sickness. I am told that this windy stretch of road is the most beautiful view of the Hudson and is often painted and photographed by artists in the area. To me, it was the most challenging road I have driven without vomiting. If it had been daylight, I would not have been able to drive it. The dropoff on my right side would have made me want to get out of the car and lay down on the ground so I wouldn't fall off. I nearly barfed and I WAS DRIVING. Note to self: stay away from cliff roads - like Old Hwy 218 along the Hudson River, and probably Hwy 101 in California.

1 Comments:

Blogger Abby said...

I'm pretty sure I would have packed my things and come home at this point. Way to stick it out Mom!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home