Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Aebleskiver - my Danish Tradition


When my parents house burned down in 1951 due to a chimney explosion, the only item saved was my Grandma Marie's Aebleskiver pan. That's because it was in my Grandma Helga's stove after a recent aebleskiver "fest". Making these delicious treats with my Mom, is one of my earliest memories of cooking. It was my job to shake the Aebleskiver in the sugar sack. Whitney and I made Danish Aebleskiver while she was home for the holiday break. She has her own pan now - a Christmas gift bought at Linen's 'n Things. It is marketed by "As Seen on TV" under the name of Pancake Puff pan. Call it whatever you want - it is the sure sign of a tradition in the making.

Ingredients and requirements

Cast Iron Aebleskiver pan
Danish apron
Brown paper sack
crochet hook
Sugar for the recipe and for shaking
flour
Baking powder
Baking soda
buttermilk
eggs
salt
lemon juice


BTW, I didn't know until I grew up that you could make such beautiful doilies, etc with the "Aebleskiver turner" (crochet hook)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home