Monday, June 04, 2007

Confessions of an OCD "Sorter"

One of my good friends pointed out that I am an obsessive "sorter". We were eating lunch one day and I had a bag of baked chips. I tore open the bag and began eating my chips the way I always do. I sorted all of the whole chips in a pile separately from the broken chips and then began eating the broken chips from smallest to largest. When those were gone I then ate the chips that were whole.

I also sort my coins before I count to see how much money I have. I sort them by size rather than by value. I put them longways inbetween two fingers in a nice orderly row. Then I count.

I sort my ice cubes when I drink pop from a glass - smallest to largest. When I put books together on a shelf, they are sorted by size and not by author. Tallest on the left - always. When I staple papers together, they MUST BE STRAIGHT or the staple comes out and I do it over. Stamps must be perfectly aligned and equidistant on both sides from the corner of the envelope.

When I play cards, they must be sorted by suit and then by rank - highest to lowest - left to right.

It is very distressing for me to see a picture which is not level. I have no desire to visit the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" - it would make me sick to look at it.

When I walk, I find myself counting my steps without even knowing it.

Our kids were named in alphabetical order - Abby, Roxie and Whitney.

Are these really that odd? Am I the only one who sorts and aligns?

As least I don't alphabetically sort my cans of soup in the cupboard.

3 Comments:

Blogger peregrineriver said...

I can feel you on that. I have a habit of walking on sidewalk. I make a x mark on the squares and then I step over the imaginary lines. I guess its kind of funny when i think about it.

11:08 PM  
Blogger LooseMoose said...

My keys must be on my key ring with the teeth facing the same direction and from largest to smallest. The only exception is the most used keys must be on either side of the bunch.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

I realized that I do this with my chips too and also my M&Ms. I sort them by color and then count them and even the piles so that I have the same number of all of the colors. Then I eat them in color rotation until they are all gone usually ending with red because red is my favorite M&M color. Thanks for passing on the complex Mom!

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home